Instagram has introduced the disappearing messages feature which could be in a bid to aid and increase the number of users on Instagram direct.
They have added visual’ temporary messages which works with permanent DMs in your Direct inbox. So, you can infuse a direct message with either a disappearing photo or video in your post.
– Tap on the top left corner of the screen or swipe right from anywhere in Feed. You can also go to your inbox to reply to messages you’ve received.
– Tap the circle at the bottom of the screen to take a photo or video, then choose to add effects.
– Tap the bottom right, then select people or groups you’d like to send to
– When you select multiple people, they’ll each get separate, individual messages.
– When you select a group, it starts a single group conversation that anyone in the group can reply to. To create a new group, tap New Group in the top right corner, select people then tap ‘Create’.
– Tap Send at the bottom of the screen.
On another hand, to view a disappearing video or photo you sent tap at the top-right of Feed and tap the conversation.
You would not be able to view disappearing photos or videos after you might have sent them, but you will see it as part of your conversation in direct message like “You sent a photo”. You can also see if the messages were delivered, opened, replayed or if someone took a screenshot. Just like on Snapchat.
Now, one thing that brothers me here is the “just like on Snapchat” part. The way at which the trio of Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp are going on Snapchat leaves a whole lot to wonder if Evan Spiegel’s baby would survive the heat in some few years to come.
When people start receiving the same service they do on Snapchat on other social platforms like Instagram and the rest, they are more likely to stick with these platforms which have been there for a while, and could be said to be more used to than Snapchat. But then, let us see how it all plays out.